Manatee County Contacts

Important Phone Number List

Bradenton Public Works 941-708-6300
Manatee County Public Utilities 941-792-8811
Palmetto Public Works 941-723-4580

Coast Gas 941/729-8591

Florida Power & Light 941/917-0708
Gulfstream Natural Gas System 941/723-7100
Peace River Electric Co-Op 800/282-3824
TECO Peoples Gas System 813/275-3722

Water, Sewer, Garbage Service Unincorporated areas
Manatee County Public Utilities 941-792-8811

Verizon Business ~ 800-483-5000 Residential ~ 800-483-4000

Bright House Networks 941-748-3816
Comcast Cable 941-371-4444
Verizon FIOS ~ 800-483-4000

The Anna Maria Island Sun Newspaper 941/778-3986

The Anna Maria Islander 941/778-7978
The Bradenton Herald 941/748-0411
Lakewood Ranch Herald 941/708-7800
Manatee Herald-Tribune 941/745-7800

The Observer Group 941/755-5357
St. Petersburg Times 727/893-8476
Tampa Bay Business Journal 813/342-2470

Tempo News 941/721-4896

Registering Your Motor Vehicle

Florida law requires newcomers to register their vehicles within 10 days of employment or enrolling childen in school. To register a vehicle, drivers must present a current driver's license, proof of Florida automobile insurance (from a Florida-licensed agent) and title to the vehicle.

Newcomers can transfer valid out-of-state driver's licenses, register vehicles, obtain license plates, and purchase disabled parking permits and register to vote at any of the following conveniently located Manatee County Tax Collector offices:

Bradenton/DeSoto Office: 819 301 Blvd. - map
Downtown: 7411 Manatee Ave. W., Ste. 200 - map
Holmes Beach: 3340 E. Bay Dr. - map

Lakewood Ranch: 6007 111th St. E. - map
Palmetto: 1341 10th St. E. - map

Registration fees are based on the vehicle's weight. To learn more about this process or to make an appointment, call 741-4800 or visit the Manatee County Tax Collector’s Office via the Internet at

Obtaining a Driver's License

The state requires newcomers who drive to apply for a Florida driver’s license within 30 days of becoming a resident. In order to obtain a license, be prepared to show proof of Florida registration of your vehicle, an out-of-state driver’s license and your Social Security card. Certain states also require you to show a birth certificate or a U.S. passport. Drivers who currently possess a valid out-of-state driver’s license and have a driving record free of violations are only required to pass a vision test. However, drivers who have offenses against their license or drivers attempting to acquire a license for the first time must also pass a written exam (based on the Florida Driver’s Handbook) as well as a driving test. For additional information, call the Division of Drivers’ Licenses at 708-6432

Public School Registration

Birth certificate or other proof of date of birth.

Proof of residency. May use one of the following:

  • Current electric or water bill - must show address and name of parent / guardian

  • Current lease agreement with parent / guardian's name
  • Official letter from company providing housing with parent / guardian's name
  • If parent can not provide the above requirements, they must visit the Parent Information Center for verification of address. Parent must bring a notarized statement from the owner / lessee of the home where they are living. This statement must show the names of all people residing at the address. In addition, parent must bring a current utility bill (power or water) with the owner / lessee's name and address. PIC will issue a letter of address verification.

Florida Certificate of Immunizaation (DOH680)

Physical examination certificate. Within the past 12 months.

Child's Social Security number (not required.)

Child's most recent report card. For students entering grades 1-12 (not required.)

Legal Guardianship papers (if applicable.)

To obtain a replacement Florida birth certificate, call 748-0747 Vital Statistics (510 6th Ave. E. in Bradenton.) Parent must make the request and show ID. Cost is $15 per child. They accept cash, check, money order, Visa and MasterCard.

For assistance with immunizations or health certificates: Contact Manatee Rural Health Services at 708-8700 for the location nearest you.

Proving You're a Resident

Some employers require newcomers to show proof of residency before they may be hired. Both the State of Florida and Manatee County have this requirement, for example. To establish residency in Florida, newcomers must file a Declaration of Domicile, which is a document that certifies that the applicant lives at a specified address. To file this declaration, visit the Clerk of Court’s Office within the Manatee County Courthouse at 1115 Manatee Ave. W. in Bradenton; the document can also be notarized at this location.

Registering to Vote

Newcomers interested in obtaining a voter’s registration card can do so by visiting the Supervisor of Elections Office (305 15th St. W., Bradenton; 741-3823), any Tax Collector's Office or any Department of Motor Vehicles office. Many local banks, public libraries, social service agencies, city halls and chambers of commerce also offer voter registration applications. To qualify, potential voters must be U.S. citizens of at least 18 years of age residing in Manatee County. Keep in mind that registration books close 29 days prior to elections.

Colleges & Universities
Argosy University - Sarasota Campus 941/379-0404
Eckerd College - Program for Experienced Learners (Sarasota) 941/957-3397
Everglades University (Sarasota) 941/907-2262
Florida College of Natural Health (Bradenton) 941/744-1244
Hodges University (Bradenton) 941/809-5505
Keiser University EDC (Sarasota) 941/907-3900
LECOM - Bradenton EDC (Bradenton) 941/756-0690
Manatee Community College (Bradenton) 941/752-5000
Manatee Technical Institute (Bradenton) 941/751-7900

New College of Florida (Sarasota) 941/487-4150
Nova Southeastern University (Tampa) 813/393-4995
Ringling College of Art and Design (Sarasota) 941/351-5100
University of Miami (Bradenton) 941/753-9957
University of Phoenix (Sarasota) 941/554-2564
University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee EDC 941/359-4200
Webster University (Sarasota) 941/358-3840

Blake Medical Center 941/792-6611
Dattoli Cancer Center & Brachytherapy Research Institute 941/957-1221
HealthSouth Ridgelake Hospital 941/342-3000
Lakewood Ranch Medical Center 941/782-2103

Manatee Memorial Hospital 941/746-5111
Parsons Medical Center 941/729-4400
Sarasota Memorial Health Care System 941/917-7067

Other Important Manatee County Sites
Manatee County Government Site
Chamber of Commerce
Clerk of Courts
Property Appraiser
Tax Collector
Bradeton Tourism & Visitor Bureau
Sarasota Bradenton International Airport
City of Anna Maria
City of Bradenton
City of Bradenton Beach
City of Holmes Beach
Town of Longboat Key
City of Palmetto

Website Design by Colony One